Monday, August 03, 2026

An Away-from-home finish: Storm Junior Sweater

I'm away from home for an extended period of time and I truly miss my sewing room.  Fortunately I also knit and knitting is quite portable.  

After finishing a pair of socks, I got to work on finishing a sweater for one of my grandsons.

The pattern is Storm Junior from PetiteKnit.  I saw this as a class sample at Pick Up Every Stitch yarn shop in Mt. Kisco, NY.  This classes didn't fit into my schedule but I was brave, bought the yarn at the shop, and decided to try making the sweater on my own.

"On my own" means "with a few panic-filled phone calls to my daughter and several YouTube videos," but I did finish and am happy with the results.

This Petit Knits pattern had some non-intuitive shaping that made perfect sense once I figured it out (i.e. start in the middle of the back and then knit up over the shoulders).  I already knew how to knit from a chart but learned how to do an Italian cast off, how to rib for a neat folded neckband, and how to join and cast off the neckband at the same time.  New skills that I'm sure I'll use again in future projects.

Italian Cast Off

I used some yummy yarn in a color that my daughter-in-law picked out:  It's a lovely merino wool in a blue/gray that might look more dull in the photo than in real life.

My daughter and daughter-in-law both knit and will appreciate and care for this hand-knit sweater that will hopefully be worn and covered in mud as the precious boy explores the world around him this fall/winter.

No comments: