Tuesday, March 19, 2019

And now for something completely different

Between medical treatment recovery time, losing a month to "lung crud", and travel for work (and play!) I don't feel like I've had much fun quilting in 2019.  I've decided to incorporate more play into my quilting starting NOW.

I pulled out my set of Bloom Templates from the Bloom quilt that I never finished (I decided to hand applique it instead of following the directions and using the sewing machine and it is now just another one of my un-finished hand applique projects).  There are so many adorable shapes in there and I decided to play with them and make some nutty postcards.

The first thing that happened is out of this world:


I used template number A-16 to make great big alien eyes on a postcard.


The green and blue fabrics are 5"x6".

I use Steam a Seam 2 for my fusible applique.

When I machine applique, I use a tear-away stabilizer.


I use my Postcard Trimming Tool Kit for the stabilizer and accurate trimming tool. (shameless plug)


I tried something new with this postcard:  cardstock for the back instead of fabric.  I've been having trouble writing on fabric postcard backs and the cardstock is SO MUCH EASIER to write on!


I zig-zag stitched around the edge of the postcard as usual:


This postcard makes me stupidly happy.

Today is my 31st wedding anniversary and I'm giving this to my husband with a clever note on the back.  He already has me, so he already has everything and needs no gifts.  Right?

I have about 30 different ideas of odd things to make from the Bloom Templates that have nothing to do with Bloom.  Is this bizarre?  Or a creative exercise?

I don't really care much about the answer because I'm having loads of fun.

Stay tuned for more creative prompts thanks to my Bloom Templates.






1 comment:

Vireya said...

Happy anniversary!

Very creative use of the Bloom templates. I will look forward to seeing some of your other innovative ideas for them.