Wednesday, August 24, 2011
Thursday, August 18, 2011
Starting today, there will be a give-away for 2 free workshops.
· Start date: August 18th Thursday
· End Date/winner announced: August 21st Sunday
· Winner can be from anywhere worldwide since it is an online workshop!!
· Becky's blog: http://patchworkposse.com/blog
· Wendy's blog: http://ivoryspring.wordpress.
· My blog: http://www.higheredhands.
· Kari's blog: http://freshcutquilts.
Monday, August 08, 2011
It is a dreary rainy day here in NY, so the photo is not great. Sorry!
In a few weeks I will be filming an episode of Quilt It, a longarm quilting show on QNNtv.com, and these are my samples. I just finished the applique and piecing and will start quilting them in the morning.
How will I qulit them? Stay tuned.
Head on over to Judy's blog to see how everyone else is doing.
Please check out my free-motion quilting videos.
Friday, August 05, 2011
I'm on some serious deadlines and not getting much sleep so my brain goes weird places like 4th grade choir rehearsal. Sorry.
But, What am I doing today?
I have all three longarm machines fired up.
On the Gammill:
It's a super-secret project I promise to show you later. I am adoring every second of it and will have to make another one just for me.
On the HQ 24 Fusion:
It's a semi-secret project I promise to show you later.
On the HQ Sweet Sixteen:
It's a scrappy, messy, thready project that I hope to spend a few minutes on tonight if I finish the super-secret quilt and part of the semi-secret quilt in a timely fashion.
Now tell me, what are YOU doing today?
Wednesday, August 03, 2011
Week 1: We made our blocks.
Week 2: We assembled our quilt tops.
Week 3: We basted our quilts.
Week 4: We practiced some straight line quilting patterns.
This week, all of the free-motion quilting patterns are based on a swirl.
I used my Janome 6600 for this video. I used the darning foot on the machine and I dropped my feed dogs.
For the top thread, I used Tutti from WonderFil, color TU31 Evergreen.
For the bobbin thread, I used DecoBob. by WonderFil, color DB501 Evergreen.
Today's free-motion quilting pattern is inspired by the view from my sewing room. The entire hillside is covered with ferns. This design combines the fiddlehead and the fern.
Grab some scrap fabric sandwiches and practice this design:
The finished pattern:
- When I need to stop the machine, I stop in a corner or where two patterns overlap. If I stop in the middle of a design, the stop/start will leave a visible jog.
- Even though my first machine quilting teacher told me to "quilt fast and don't stop," I quilt rather slowly. I set my machine to the speed I want to quilt, and then put my pedal to the floor. This helps keep my stitches a consistent length.
- I stop frequently while quilting. This keeps me from getting a sore neck, allows me to reposition my hands, and gives me time to figure out where to place the next design.
That was the last design! Pick a few and quilt your quilt!