Friday, June 24, 2011

Stop, Drop and Roll Quilt Along, part 6.4

Welcome to week 6 of the Stop, Drop and Roll Quilt Along! I am hosting this for the Old Red Barn Co. Flickr group.

Week 1: We made our blocks.
Week 2: We assembled our quilt tops.
Week 3: We basted our quilts.
Week 4: We practiced some straight line quilting patterns.
Week 5: We practiced some C curve quilting patterns.

This week, all of the free-motion quilting patterns are based on a loop.

The machine:
I used my Janome 6600 for this video. I used the darning foot on the machine and I dropped my feed dogs.

The thread:
For the top thread, I used Tutti from WonderFil, color TU19 Lavender.
For the bobbin thread, I used DecoBob. by WonderFil, color DB314 Lilac.

The video:
Today's free-motion quilting pattern is pebbles!

Grab some scrap fabric sandwiches and practice this design:



The finished pattern:

The hints:
  • To keep my loops round, I stitch over one and under the next.
  • To get from one place to another, I retrace the pebbles.
  • When I need to stop the machine, I stop in a corner or where two patterns overlap. If I stop in the middle of a design, the stop/start will leave a visible jog.
  • Even though my first machine quilting teacher told me to "quilt fast and don't stop," I quilt rather slowly. I set my machine to the speed I want to quilt, and then put my pedal to the floor. This helps keep my stitches a consistent length.
  • I stop frequently while quilting. This keeps me from getting a sore neck, allows me to reposition my hands, and gives me time to figure out where to place the next design.

Stop back next week for more free-motion quilting designs!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Nice video! Thank you for sharing.