Thursday, July 30, 2026

Yes Sir, Yes Sir, Three Pairs of Socks

 I have a dream of only wearing hand-knit socks, knit by me in all sorts of fun and funky colors and patterns.  That dream is not yet a reality, but...

I just finished my third pair of shortie socks.


I am in Pittsburgh for a few weeks and both my mother and my mother-in-law are bothered that these socks aren't identical.  I am absolutely unbothered by that and since they are my socks, we're all good.

I made these socks from a single cone of Laines du Nord Watercolor Sock yarn.  



The label says the color is Brown/Blue.  Than confused me until I looked online and found that it's a nickname for Brown/Blue/ Green/Yellow.  The longer name fits the color better than the nickname.

Both pair of shortie socks I have made before were knit from the ankle to the heel to the toe.  For these socks, I knit starting at the toe (Turkish cast on) 


then heel (wrap & turn)  


then ankle (super-stretchy cast off) using a pattern that shall remain nameless.  It was a free pattern online and if you've never knit this type of sock before, the pattern does not explain enough to help you complete the sock.  I *might* have cussed a wee bit when knitting the first wrap & turn heel.  Fortunately my daughter and her wife are both expert knitters and my dear friend is a knitting pattern writer and yarn shop owner.  I'm surrounded by knitting GENIUSES.  


With their help, I finished the first sock and then was able to knit the second sock by checking my notes.  I will knit this type of sock again and don't want to discourage you from these techniques; simply use a more instructional pattern or take a class at your local yarn shop.

I am itching to cast on another pair of socks, but first I want to finish grandson #four's sweater.  I have half a sleeve and the neckband left.  Then I can start a new pair of socks. 

Maybe I'll do two-color socks with a pretty pattern?  Or color block socks?  So many choices!


No comments: