I had a notion of sewing ruffles to the pillows and after a lot of work, here are the shams:
The ruffling process went something like this:
1. Borrow ruffler sewing machine attachment from friend.
2. Spend a few hours figuring out how it worked.
3. Spend another few hours trying it on the actual fabric.
4. Decide that I didn't like the look of it.
5. Attempt machine gathering with a basting stitch.
6. Realize that the fabric was really thick and the thread was just going to keep breaking.
7. Thread a needle and start making the ruffles by hand.
So simple, even a child could do it!
Check out some other great finishes at