Monday, November 30, 2015

November bookshelf

The was the last month of my travel season and I was exhausted most of the time.  In my spare time, I often sat and stared blankly into space instead of reading or doing anything else productive.  I finished a few books, but not as many as I usually do.

Brian's Hunt by Gary Paulsen
An even shorter book than the others I've read in this adventure series for young boys.  A quick evening's listen.

Last Night at the Lobster by Stewart O'Nan
This was a recommendation from a new book buddy.  It's set in Connecticut, not far from me, and I always like saying "Dude, I've totally been there!" about places in books (even more fun when it is in Moscow).  I enjoyed falling in love with Manny.

The Lost World by Michael Crichton
I never read this when it was published.  How did that happen?

Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert
Could you hear me read this?  Because my head totally exploded.  I kept fist pumping and agreeing "Yes!" while I was listening to this book.  I will buy this book, mark it up, and read it again and again.

The Girl in the Spider's Web by David Lagercrantz
This is the first Lisbeth Salander novel written after the death of Stieg Larsson.  I have been waiting for my turn at the library since this book was released.  To say I was excited to read this book would be an understatment.  This book was good, but not as gripping as the original three in the series.  The author tried for the dark tone of the other novels, but couldn't pull it off.  It is obvious that the author is planning to continue this series because the book felt unfinished.  I will read his future books, but I will miss Stieg Larsson.

Woods Runner by Gary Paulsen
This isn't another story of Brian; it is instead the story of Sam, a 13 year old frontier boy who rescues his family during the American Revolution.  Gary Paulsen has a way of writing short, fast, adventure novels for/about teenage boys.  I'm not his intended audience, but I will read every book of his in the library.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J. K. Rowling
I'm celebrating the release of the Harry Potter audiobooks on Audible by reading through them all.  These are great quilting books: like quilting with old friends.

Sometimes, when I stared into space this month, space was filled with my laptop screen playing Netflix.  I watched:

Criminal Minds, season 10 on Netflix
Because I watched seasons 1-9 about 6 times already.

The Transporter, season 2 on Netflix
Not Jason Statham, but fun to listen to while I'm quilting

Crossing Lines, seasons 1-2 on Netflix
I think I like this and I'm dying to know where Donald Sutherland's character is supposed to be from.

1 comment:

Donna said...

I totally agree on Big Magic. I listened to it once and promptly put the first disc in and listened to it again.