Saturday, January 02, 2016

December Bookshelf

If one of your New Year's Resolutions is to read more, check out the books that I read in December.  I read less than I usually do, but I was sick for most of the month.  The books that I did read were pretty awesome, though:

Make Me by Lee Child
I waited and waited to get this book out of the library.  Jack Reacher books (not the movie --- ewww -- Tome Cruise is NOT JACK REACHER!!!) are my guilty pleasure.  This book hit some darker notes but was another enjoyable novel that let me escape reality for a while.  This series is not great literature, but it is full of action.

Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson
This is another book that I waited and waited for at the library.  It was a good week at the library when they both came in!  I listened to this one while quilting and had several laugh out loud moments which just made my cat look at me like I'm weird.  I listen to books through headphones, so as far as Kermit was concerned I was laughing at the voices in my head.  I had trouble finishing this book, though.  I think the language and irreverance got to me after the inital amusement.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J. K. Rowling
I'm making a run through the Harry Potter books and am enjoying quilting to Jim Dale's narration.  This book is always hard to get rhrough because (spoiler alert) it's when things begin to get quite dark.

Ties That Bind by Marie Bostwick
What a joy this book was.  Marie is a quilter and writes books that feature quilters, but this is a story about family and conflict and love and adoption and marriage.  It was read by two of my favorite narrators.  I listened to this while under the weather and this was great medicine!

Psycho by Robert Bloch
This is the short, yet freaky book that inspired the movie Psycho.  And the Psycho remake.  And the Bates Motel series.  I can't believe I never read this before and the book was good enough to make everyone afraid of the shower.  Forever.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J. K. Rowling
I'm continuing my read-thru of the Harry Potter books.  This is a tough one; evil is winning and it makes me sad.  I can't wait to get to the happy-ish ending.  The books are so enjoyable that I listen to the books, even when they make me sad.

Since I've been sick, I've been watching a lot of shows on my computer rather than listening to books while quilting.

Netflix:  I've been watching White Collar.  Bryce Larkin is fun in this show.  Why haven't I watched it before?

Amazon Prime: I've been watching The Man in the High Castle.  I discovered this show on a TV commercial playing above a bar in a restaurant while I was picking up a take-out order on my last teaching trip of the year.  Yes, I saw a TV commercial about an internet-only show.  Weird, right?  I am ashamed to admit that I've never read the book.  The series is fantastic, so far.  I have a suspicion that things are about to go off the rails.  Don't spoil it for me!

1 comment:

Laura Sexton said...

I, too, adore Lee Child. How does he make a storyline about nothing so exciting? And, you are right on the money - there's no excuse for Tom Cruise playing Jack Reacher; NONE!
Laura Sexton