Yesterday, I chose the designs for my Washington DC block from Pat Sloan.
I decided to use cotton thread for this project. I often use polyester thread, or silk thread, or rayon thread... I just picked cotton for this one. I chose Konfetti from WonderFil. I use this thread in a lot of projects; it comes in a variety of colors and it quilts well (not much breakage and not much lint).
For my light green area, I pulled out a few shades of green/gray/tan:
The top color was too "happy." The middle color was too dark. The bottom color wasn't really green but it blended well so I chose it. Originally I thought this light green fabric was too close in color to the tan, but once it was pieced it showed more contrast. If it were really too close in color, I would have chosen the darker green and increased the contrast by using a darker thread.
The top color is a shade darker than the fabric. The bottom color is a shade lighter than the fabric. I chose the lighter one ... just because.
Next up, the orange triangles. I pulled out an orange thread and a rose thread:
The orange was too "happy" but the rose worked well.
For the tan, I pulled out some tan, cream, and light yellow threads:
They all worked well, but I chose the middle one. It seemed to blend the best.
Once I picked all of these threads, I realized that they match so well that it will be difficult to see them when I film the quilting videos. So, that was a fun exercise, but I put them all away and instead chose a tan thread that shows a bit of contrast with each of my fabrics:
In the 15 years I've been machine quilting, I've learned to embrace Plan B. For this quilt, Plan B = use a thread that shows in the video and still looks good on the quilt.
Next step: I plan to quilt this on Hazel, my sweet Sweet Sixteen . Stay tuned!
Catch up on the rest of the posts:
Globetrotting: Block 1 Washington DC
basting, design choice