Friday, January 31, 2014

Globetrotting: Block 1 Washington DC (video 1)

I'm so excited that I finally started quilting Pat Sloan's Globetrotting quilt!


Some details:

I am using Konfetti thread, a 50-weight cotton from WonderFil.  I am quilting on Hazel, my Handi Quilter Sweet Sixteen machine, using a size 16 needle.

Now, for the quilting:

I am using a quilt-as-you-go technique which means I am quilting each section of the quilt separately and then joining the pieces together after they are quilted.  This technique allows quilting without maneuvering a large quilt.  It's also a great technique for those who can't wait to get started quilting a year-long project.  Impatient?  Who, me?

I started quilting the center of the star:


In the above photo, I didn't draw on the quilt, I drew on Quilter's Preview Paper as described in a previous post -- see bottom of this post for links.

The first thing to do is to make a starting knot:



Next, I am using some tools from Handi Quilter -- the 4-inch and 6-inch circle from the Handi Quilter Circles and also Handi Grip to help the template grip the fabric while I am quilting.

The quilting was pretty simple:



It's time to finish with an ending knot:



Now this first section of the quilting is done.  Isn't it pretty?


I hope you enjoyed my videos.  They were filmed at home in my dark, dark sewing room at night with a Flip video camera, amateur lighting, iPhone photography for inset shots, and were directed by Hello Kitty:


I have four professionally filmed quilting DVDs .  They used real cameras and lights and a director and a cameraman and a sound guy...  Yeah, they are probably a bit better than this one was.

I'll post the next video in a few days when life allows.  Happy Quilting!

___

Catch up on the rest of the posts for Globetrotting:
Block 1 Washington DC
basting, design choice
thread choice

11 comments:

Kathy@KayakQuilting said...

Thanks Debby for these videos! I really like the way you stop and start. I guess I am too lazy to go back and knot and bury thread tails!

Mary said...

Thanks for posting these, Debbie! Is it possible to use rulers with a domestic machine?

Carol Enright said...

Thanks for showing this. I have been very interested in learning how to quilt smaller things on my regular machine so this kind of helps me see how it is done.

Patty Benner Young said...

Thank you Debby...great videos. I bought the circle templates at Road...now I know a way to use them!

Jackie said...

Great video's Debby, thank you so much for sharing. I've never understood how to start and finish and your video was so clear and close I for once am understanding how to do it. Thanks again.

Machelle said...

Thanks! This is really helpful:)

Terry said...

Awesome! I used my handi-gadget template for the first time yesterday to make some straight lines and after watching this, I want more!!!!!

Leeanne said...

Great video's Debby!

Unknown said...

This is the first time I read your blog, I'm going to do the Pat Sloan's blocks too. You said your doing the quilt as you go way I'm not an experience quilter to say the least(just learning) I would like to do it your way as I only have a home machine. So my question is will you be sharing how to do your joining of you blocks? when you quilt them are you quilting right to the sides? (See way to many questions!....) looking forward to your answers.

RobbieJoy said...

Debby, What kind of machine are you quilting the Wash DC block on and what are the little squares that are on the bottom of your larger circle template (double-sided tape, maybe?) and where did you purchase your templates? This is the first time I've seen your blog or vids, but I can assure you, I'll be watching now! :) In a good way, of course

Unknown said...

I wonder if those circles or similar ones would work with my Juki quilter?