Saturday, February 06, 2016

January Book Shelf

January was a bizarre month for books.  I was out of town/out of the country for more than half the month.  When I was home, I spent most of my time making kits for my students at AQS Quiltweek in Phoenix.  These books helped me prepare hundreds of yards of fabric for our event next week:

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J. K. Rowling
I only have two comments about this book:
1.  I listen to books while I quilt.
2.  It is difficult to quilt while crying.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling
I finished this book the day that Alan Rickman died.  I have nothing else to say.

I flew to and from Tokyo for the Tokyo Quilt Festival and watched a bunch of movies on the plane and on Netflix Japan:

The Martian -- I loved the book more than I have words to say. It was my favorite read of all of 2015.  I really love the movie, too!

The Intern -- This isn't usually my type of movie but it was very, very sweet.  It was odd that I related more to DeNiro's character than Anne Hathaway's.  I am getting old.

Unbroken -- I will watch or read anything about WWII unless it involves concentration camps.  I can't go there.  I must admit that it was an odd feeling watching a movie about a Japanese internment camp while on a plane full of people going to Japan.

Minions -- Silly fun.

A Lego Brickumentary -- I now want to be a Lego master craftsman.  The documentary talked about shows and events where people gather to discuss and share their love of Lego bricks as if it was an unusual thing.  As a quilter, my reaction was "Yeah, so?  That sounds perfectly normal to me."

The entire Twilight Series -- don't judge me.

Once I returned from Japan, I decided that Jane Austen was the cure for my jetlag:

Pride and Prejudice -- I watched the Keira Knightley version of this movie over 20 times this month.  No exaggeration.  Could have been 50 times.  I don't really know.  The movie might be playing in the background whilst I write this post, but that's only a rumor.

Pride and Prejudice  -- I watched the Colin Firth mini-series for the very first time.  It was lovely!

I could happily live inside of Jane Austen's books!

I'm going to listen to all of Jane Austen's books while I'm working on my blocks and tutorials for The Splendid Sampler this year!  Do you read through Jane Austen's works every year?  Or is it just me?

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Just popped over from the Splendid Sampler and your comments about Jane Austen caught my eye. I have both versions on my computer, but the BBC version (in its entirety!) is watched at least once a month. I love it!

MarshaB said...

I love all the Jane Austen movies and watch them over and over. But Pride and Prejudice is my favorite. There is so much dialogue I can sew and just listen. I'm taking your class on templates in Phoenix this week. See you there!