Friday, February 15, 2013

Gifts! A wallet

My sister-in-law sent me a special request:  a fabric wallet to match her new purse.  The actual text read:

"Hi!  I moved my stuff to my new purse ;)  all the compartments are gr8!  The purse is perfect and so cute! i was wondering if you had anymore of the fabric from the purse you made me?  If so, would you mind making me a small wallet like the one in my last purse?  Let me know how much it costs and I'll send a check.  Thanks so much."

She does not sew and has no idea that a quilter will spent 100 hours on a quilt to give it away but will not sew for any amount of money.  (OK, I actually do sew for money, but that is a different matter.)  The fact that she specifically asked if I could make her a purse for Christmas, and then wanted another wallet is payment enough.  I love when the people that I give gifts to enjoy them.

Sadly, I did not have any more fabric.  I cut it all up to make a scrappy baby quilt.  I quickly ran to the Quilt Basket to see if they maybe had a fat quarter of the fabric left somewhere (it was old fabric).  I could not find a fat quarter anywhere.  I was about to give up hope when I found a bolt of one of the fabrics.  SCORE!!!

I pulled out my trusty Lazy Girls Wonder Wallet pattern and made up a matching wallet for her.  It took me a quarter-yard of fabric and about 30 minutes.


I snapped a quick photo with my phone before I tucked this in an envelope to mail to my dear sister-in-law.  I did not stage the photo so you can see some of the debris on my desk.  

Clockwise from top right:  a promotional ruler from brandyscustom.com, some lip gloss (of course!), the charging cord for my wireless headphones, the cord for my laptop, and the edge of my desk lamp (it's new and I LOVE THE EXTRA LIGHT!!!).  

I cannot find even 6-inches of clear space on my desk.  Sigh.

2 comments:

Lazy Girl said...

Debby, the Wonder Wallet is perfect! Great job!!!

Kim said...

She'll love it.
Love the color too.

Happy Sewing