Saturday, September 01, 2018

Light Labors on Labor Day Weekend

I am home for all three days of this Labor Day Weekend and I'm planning hundreds of hours of activities to fit into these three short days.

First, quilting.  I downloaded The Midnight Line audiobook from my library because Tom Cruise Is Not Jack Reacher!  I plan to listen to this book in the next three days and quilt for the duration.

For quilting, I am playing with some botanical fabrics that want to become a Cutie Quilt. What color would you use as a background for these fabrics?


I was thinking black, but I think the purples are too dark for a black background.  Yellow?  Olive?  I'm starting my weekend stumped.

Speaking of stumps, I'm sure I'll work on my woodpile.  A string of tornadoes swept through our area in May and we lost a bunch of trees.  Many more were weakened and we've lost even more since.  In July, one was leaning on our house and we brought in tree guys to safely bring it down.  We were left with a lot (TONS!) of wood to process.


Jokingly, I told my husband I wanted to learn to chop wood.  The first time I tried I could barely lift the maul!  I'm stubborn, though, and swung that hammer and maul a few more times each day.  I can lift it and swing it now, but the wood is too big for me to split that way.  It's also too large for a wood splitter, so I'm splitting it with a hammer and wedge.



This is incredible exercise and I'm enjoying becoming stronger while accomplishing a worthwhile task.  I'll enjoy it even more in the winter of 2019/2020 when we burn all of this wood in our woodstove!

I also plan to cut some up some large fallen branches (4"-8" diameter) into burning lengths using my new hand chain saw.  I'm afraid to use a powered chain saw and I don't think my hands are strong enough to clutch a saw (you don't want to know how many times I throw the maul and hammer whilst swinging them -- stand clear when I'm working!) so and hand chain saw is perfect for me.  I cut a branch yesterday for the first time and I could give an anatomy lesson today about what muscles are required to use this!  If you are on my holiday gift-giving list, you might get one of these in your stocking.  They are so fun!

Are you quilting this weekend?  Working outside?  Seeing friends and family?  I'm doing all three and hope your weekend is as wonderful as mine promises to be!

5 comments:

Ann D said...

I like the olive for a background fabric perhaps a touch of yellow, lime green?

Pamela Arbour said...

I saw the video of you chopping wood. You are doing an excellent job! I have some health challenges too but I find that exercising really does make me stronger and feel better. Keep up the good work. P.S. I'm not sure I can hold an axe to you! I would definitely lose the competition! LOL

Doreen said...

Quilting and busy with church potluck and "neighborhood" gathering. Fun stuff. Your fabrics are so pretty and they all seem to blend in the end, don't they?? Hugs........

Barb said...

The black eye is a funny story though. The colors might be inspiring in a few days. I'm thinking a pale yellow or a light blue could work. What do you think?

Brenna said...

First of all, you are SO RIGHT about Tom Cruise! He's totally wrong for Jack Reacher. Dwayne Johnson would have been my first choice. :)

The fabrics are beautiful! Maybe a yellow? Or a grey? I've been doing more with grey backgrounds and really love how it looks.