Friday, May 18, 2012

Facing East

Every year, Machine Quilter's Showcase in Overland Park, Kansas holds a quilt auction to raise money for the IMQA.  

Last year I donated this quilt:


I was surprised with how cool the back turned out:


I filmed the quilting of this quilt, step-by-step.  Check out the tutorials.

I donated a quilt to the auction this year, too.  Ladies and Gentlemen, may I present 'Facing East':


You may have seen this quilt in progress.  The applique process went smoothly not-so-smoothly nearly killed me.  The quilting process presented a few challenges as well, but I persevered and am really pleased with the finished quilt!

Again, I was surprised by how cool the back looked:


The scrunchy-bunchy part on top of the quilt is the hanging sleeve.  I'm pleased that I got it sewn on at all and not too concerned that it isn't gorgeous.  Done is good, right?

A close-up of the applique:


A close-up of the background quilting:


Motif number one:


Motif number two:


The original design is inspired by my love of Eastern art.  I was tickled to visit the Freer and Sackler galleries when I was in Washington, D.C. this spring and at least one touch in the background quilting of the appliqued circle was inspired by a statue of Queen Sembiyan Mahadevi as the Goddess Parvati.  

I used Daiwabo Japanese taupe fabrics from Pinwheels Trading Company.  They are YUMMY!

The hand appliqué and machine quilting were both done with InvisiFil 100-weight polyester thread from WonderFil.

I quilted this on my new BFF, my Handi Quilter Sweet Sixteen.  I never thought I would say this, but sit-down quilting ROCKS!  


Even though my quilt was not technically "in" the quilt show, it was hanging in the same room as the show so I had to get a photo of me with my quilt:



If you ever want to be humbled, ask someone to hang your quilt next to Claudia Pfeil's quilt.


No, I do not feel inadequate at all.  Why do you ask?

The auction was last night.  People were lined up at the door just waiting to get in.  So were geese:


I did not see the geese actually bid on any quilts.  They must have forgotten their wallets.

The auction was a lot of fun, and a lot of money was raised for the IMQA.  My quilt brought in $500, which is humbling but really cool too.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonderful quilt design, wonderful quilting. You ROCK!

Sue Daurio said...

Wow that is just amazing!

Kati from Kati's Quilting said...

Wow, congratulations! I'm happy to see the binding finished! I still love this little quilt (with secrets and all)!

Leeanne said...

spectacular!! Well done.

Unknown said...

I will always be really fond of this quilt because 1. You worked on it when we got to spend quality time outside of work and you showed me what need turn applique is and 2. I now get to (and HAVE SO FAR) look at this everyday! Good work! I love it and I love you!