Monday, May 07, 2012

Waiting for babies

Lately, my husband and I have been living in a movie.  Specifically, "The Birds" by Alfred Hitchcock.  

My husband's office window opens to the front porch and that window has lately been under assault by a large, determined robin.  The robin will sit on the porch railing, then fly to the window sill, then back to the railing.  It will repeat this a few times before it tries to fly through the window.  This has happened hundreds of times!  We are still startled by the banging on the window. Fortunately the glass has held and is only very dirty instead of broken.

When we go on the front porch to try and figure this out, the robin flies around, trying to chase us back inside.  I have watched out the window while this robin has chased chipmunks through the yard as well.

Yesterday, my husband found the nest.  


It is about a foot from my living room window and maybe three feet from my front door.  We have discussed cutting down this ragged holly bush, but we are definitely leaving it for this year.


We walk quietly through the living room to check on momma and her eggs.  This morning I got a picture of her sitting on her nest:


I took the photo through the window and screen from a few feet inside the window.  The photo is a bit blurry, but I didn't want to open the window and disturb them.

So, what shall I do while I wait for babies?  Should I work on some baby robin quilts?  They should not take too long to make, being at most three inches square.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

I had a nest in my hanging plant last year...I was afraid to go near it...definitely a robin blue quilt is in order...LOL