Tuesday, May 08, 2012

UFO + orphan blocks = ???

In 2003 my guild invited Wendy Etzel to teach a workshop and speak at the guild.  I know this because I bought her book and she signed it "Wendy Etzel, May 2003." 

I made a Log Cabin block that day, and added 8 borders (top/bottom, all around, and top/bottom again).  This was all done from scrap and stash.

Today, I found this old (but not oldest) UFO.  I also found a bunch of abandoned blocks from two different scrap quilts I thought I wanted to make once upon a time.  I pieced four more borders from those blocks and added them to the quilt:


The quilt now measures 58"x66".  I think I might just add a simple brown border to finish this off.

These are not colors I even use any more (no lime green!).  I have no feelings toward this quilt, but I still think I should finish it.

Any other suggestions?  How would you quilt it?  Does anyone even like this quilt?

8 comments:

grendelskin said...

I think it's cute in a country way. You could have some fun quilting it, leafing out the tree and whatnot. Worst case, if you still don't like it when complete send it along to a charity.

Penny Quilts said...

I love the quilt--I can see it quilted with all sorts of wilderness pretties in there to jazz it up in the center. it would be a grand Man's quilt--for the den. Yes quilt it--someone's special day will come up and you'll have the perfect gift ready! Hugs, Penny

Kati from Kati's Quilting said...

Ok, so I'll have to object. If you don't like it after finishing it I can go to pick it up :)))) There's no need to donate it at all! :)

QuilterMary said...

Just give it a good all-over quilting. Add buttons to the tree limbs and call it DONE! Use "wonder" fabric for the back - wonder what you were thinking when you bought THAT. Donate it, keep it, stash it away - it's still better finished.

Leeanne said...

It's got country charm, a warmth about it. I see a nice big area for you to work your quilting magic on!

Darx said...

I have a soft spot for long-neglected projects getting finished, so I say go for it, but I'm not the one who has to do the work. Is it fun? Then I vote go for it. You're making me want to finish the quilts I started and never finished.

Kristin said...

I think its great you used up the center block and other misc UFO blocks for this. I would say put flannel on the back and use it as a cuddle quilt to remind you of importance of home.

Gari in AL said...

I am late to this party but I think you have made a really great quilt. I can see this on the bed of a little boy, especially with a non-flowery all over quilting.