Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Meant To Be

Good morning from Salt Lake City!  I am here, excitedly getting ready for my first day of classes at Handi Quilter Academy.  This is one of my favorite teaching experiences and one I make sure not to miss!  This year, however, Delta was trying to make me to miss my first day of classes.

I scheduled my flights and was ready to go.

Plan A:
2:30 am wake up
3:30 am leave the house
4:30 am park car
4:45 am check in at airport
6:00 am fly from NY to Atlanta
8:30 am land in Atlanta
10:30 am fly from Atlanta to Salt Lake City
1:00 pm arrive in Salt Lake City

I didn't like the 2:30 am wake up, but it was a plan... until Delta cancelled my flight and rescheduled it for 24 hours later.  I wouldn't get to my first day of classes (starting at 9:00 am) until about 2-3pm.  NOT GOOD!

I spent an hour or two on the phone and convinced Delta to try harder to get me there on the right day.  Here's what we came up with:

Plan B:
7:00 am wake up, work, clean, pack
10:30 am leave house
11:00 am arrive at a different, closer airport
1:00 pm fly from NY to Detroit
3:00 - 7:15 pm wander around Detroit airport
9:00 pm arrive in Salt Lake City

Plan B wasn't ideal, but it at least got me there on the right day.  It also avoided the dreaded 2:30 wake up and had me flying from a closer airport.

Plan B went badly from the start.  The traffic on the interstate was standing still.  I am so grateful that I was already across the bridge when that happened.  In NY we live and die by our bridges.  I was able to get off the highway and wander around until I got to the airport.  I was a little later than I wanted to be but still in plenty of time.  I soon discovered that my flight was delayed due to a mechanical problem back in Detroit.  So I sat.  And waited.  And waited some more.

Eventually, plan C kicked in and the plane took off.  I had a row to myself:

I had a great nap for the first part of that flight!

My over-six-hour layover was now about 3 hours.  I had enough time for a nice dinner at P. F. Changs. Honey Walnut Shrimp.  Mmmmmmmmm.  The restaurant even tried to encourage me by letting me know that I'd get to Handi Quilter Academy on time:

Strengthened by my good fortune, I wandered around the airport.  Detroit airport is getting more fun. Evidence:

There also may have been a cookie involved, but all evidence is lost.

What my fortune didn't tell me was that I'd get a first class upgrade for my next flight. Comfy seat!  WooHoo!!!  I read a book and made some notes for an upcoming project, all from my lovely first class seat.

Salt Lake City welcomed me with a sunset over the lake:

Delta continued their awesome Plan C by delivering all of my luggage:

In summary: I had a little travel stress for about 24 hours, but once the first flight took off I had an EXCELLENT trip.  Why didn't I plan it this way in the first place???

1 comment:

Doreen Auger said...