Sunday, August 31, 2014

Hotel Tour of 2014 -- night 92

Another fun day in Utah!

I hiked in Canyonlands National Park.  All of the trails seemed to go UP!


They were rather challenging:


Did you see the trail wind in the middle of the picture?  There is a person above it, under the tree line.  The trail goes past the trees at the top of the mountain.

Yes, I hiked that:


Once I got to the top and looked down, this was the trail:


Do you see a path?  Me neither.  I am petrified of heights.  Not being able to see a trail and having the mountain go pretty much STRAIGHT DOWN means I turned around and said "Crater?  Who needs to see a crater?"

I climbed all the way back down to the car.  Steep downhills are just as tough as steep uphills:


I made it safely through several hikes.  The views were worth it:



Sorry, should have warned you about that last one.  If you, like me, are afraid of heights, your stomach is somewhere below your knees right now.

In addition to hiking, my husband and I did a little research.  My theory is that the outhouses with a ventilation chimney smell less than the outhouses without one:


My husband says no, but my experiences today confirm my theory.

Since this is a hotel post, the best part of tonight's hotel was soaking my aching knees in a hot tub:




4 comments:

Kati from Kati's Quilting said...

Aww, beautiful place, Debby! I know it's scary to look down, but it will be a nice memory down the road just to look at these photos and say: yes, I hiked up there!

Mary said...

I just bet that hot tub felt good on those knees. I am so impressed with your hikes.

Doreen said...

I would rather do the climb up...that view from the top, and knowing I must travel down, would be daunting for me. Heights and I are definitely at odds!!!!!! Lovely photos!!!!!

Sharon said...

I'm with you Debbie, I have a serious case of height-fright, too.
I'm not sure I would have made it to the top, but if I had I would have said 'what crater? Later!' and gone back down the way I came up. However, you sure got to see some beautiful views.