Saturday, March 14, 2015

Code Name: Clueless

I often listen to audio books whilst I'm quilting, and last week I finished "Rose Under Fire" by Elizabeth Wein. This is her second (latest) book in her Code Name: Verity young adult series.  I enjoyed the first book and downloaded the second book without reading the description.

Big rookie mistake!

I don't read books about German concentration camps and I don't watch movies about them, either.   "Schindler's List"?  Nope.  "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas"?  Yes, but it nearly killed me.  I would have known to avoid "Rose Under Fire" had I simply read the blurb!

I started the book unaware that it would take me to Ravensbruck and when I figured it out I was too invested in Rose to close the book.

One of the reader's voices was annoying, but I can't imagine how difficult it is to read an American accent, a British accent, a Scottish accent, a Russian accent, a Polish accent and many German accents, too.

This is a good series, but if you, too, can't read concentration camp books, consider yourself warned.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I was in high school when Schindler's List came out. The whole school went to see it. I stayed home sick. I find it impossible to read or watch horrible-ness that actually happened. It's just too painful.