Sunday, March 08, 2015

Getting it Together -- In The Middle

I am a quilter, which means I have a stash of fabric.  It also means that I have a stash of thread.  What you might not know is that I have a stash of batting/wadding, too.  The batting/wadding stash causes me a bit more grief than the other stashes.  I can decoratively display my thread on racks and I can fold fabric neatly and stack it in bins, but batting?  It takes up so much space!!

Every time I get scraps of batting I toss them in an Ikea bag, separated by type:


Shown:  one bag of wool batting/wadding and one bag of cotton batting/wadding.  Sorry for the horrible photo; it is winter here and everything is dark and shadowy.  I can't wait for spring for many reasons, but good photographs are on that list!

Once these leftover bits of batting/wadding fill a bag, it is time to join those bits together and make a large enough piece to use in a quilt.  Looking at that photo, I'm ready to create a wool Franken-batt so the bag no longer overflows!

I join my wool batting/wadding together with either a needle and thread or iron-on batting tape.  I join my cotton batting/wadding together with either a zig-zag stitch on my sewing machine or iron-on batting tape.  

What do you do with your batting/wadding?  Any fun hints to share?

3 comments:

SandraC said...

I also get mountains of remnants....its is actually the case right now. I always have good intentions of sewing bits together but it never happens. Usually, a couple of times a year, a group will ask for remnant donations for a charity project, so I unload then. Also when someone brings me a small quilt/wallhanging, if there is a remnant that I can use, I give a discount on the price of the batting.

Margo said...

I also piece larger scraps for quilts, but the smaller cotton batting scraps get cut to 10-1/2" x 9" to use on my Swiffer! They work great for keeping the floor clean! 8-)

Jacqueline said...

I too sew pieces together.. And I use smaller pieces to clean off my cutting mata. I cut a lot of felted wool for appliqués and rug hooking. The batting picks up all of the wool dust from my mat.