Friday, April 26, 2019

Adventures with Quilts and Photos

Last week I posted photos of my death defying attempts to get a photo of a my Squared Away Cutie quilt.  This week I finished its fraternal twin and had to (gulp) take another photo.

Meet Stepping Stones:


It was raining when I had time to take this photo, so this is on my front porch.  Did you know that rainy days have wonderful light for photos?  Sunny days are too bright but overcast, rainy days make excellent photo days.

The fabric in these two quilts is The Blue Skies Collection by Sharon Holland Designs for Paintbrush Studios (thank you, selvedge).  It's gotta be from 2010 or so.  I pulled out a bolt of Wilmington Prints Sonoma Solids blue spruce and it POPPED!  I use this in my Forever in Peace Cutie Quilt kit, but don't have extra yardage for sale.  Sorry!

Now I have to tell you that I live in the honest-to-goodness woods.  I can walk to the Appalachian Trail and we keep our property as it grows.  The animals win.  We could fight them, but we'd lose so...

I rarely use my front door.  We use the garage as our entrance.  Our guests usually enter via the garage.  Even the package delivery services know that if they honk, I'll open the garage door from my studio (remote control -- BRILLIANT!) and they can chuck the packages inside without bothering to walk around to my front door.

So I went outside to take a rainy day photo on the front porch.  And was promptly attacked by nesting birds.


I don't know what kind of bird it was, but it was little and makes a next from mud and moss.  Evidence to follow.

Debris below the nest:


Mud flung on my front doors*.  Somehow.


Seriously, these mud spots are nearly as large as the bird.


So the birds get custody of my front porch until their babies are fledged.  Then I will sweep the porch and scrub my doors.   Until then, please honk and I'll let you in through the garage.

Shhhh.... baby birds are sleeping.

_____
*I hate my front doors.  Seventeen years ago when we bought this house I said "The very first thing I'm doing is replacing those front doors."  That was as accurate as when I said, "Mom, it's just a prom date; it's not like I'm gonna marry the guy."  Famous.  Last.  Words.

4 comments:

Frog Quilter said...

I have a nest like that under my porch and I found it because if the same mess on the ground. Beautiful cutie quilt.

HilaryR said...

Eastern Phoebe? Mud and moss...

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Eastern_Phoebe/lifehistory

Pamela Arbour said...

You live on n a beautiful part of the country. I don’t know how I could handle the weather!!!

zazmau said...

6:05 AM !!!!! What are you doing up at 6:05 AM????