Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Hiking is like Childbirth?

On Saturday, I thought it would be fun if my husband dropped me off several miles away and let me hike home. Flaws in that plan:

1. I only slept 2 hours the night before. Note to self: don't drink 2 caffeinated diet cokes with dinner EVER AGAIN! Finally going to sleep when the sun is rising is NOT FUN!


2. It was ridiculously hot and humid with a stagnant air advisory. And lest we forget, I have asthma.


3. I'm overweight and out of shape and my knees hate me.

Some pics from the day:




I rested on a rock overlooking this farm while a mosquito devoured my backside. Laugh if you must, but I'm slightly uncomfortable.





This flower is no larger than my thumbnail. It was so fragile and intricate. Each petal is actually a hollow cone. Being plant-challenged I have no idea what it is, but it's cool anyway.






My dear quilting friend bought me these trekking poles for my birthday. I LOVE trekking poles. I saw about a dozen hikers on Saturday, and 100% of them used poles. Try them, you'll really like them.

The good news is that I made it home. The rest is like childbirth...... I blocked it out.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've been watching the Olympics and reading your blog,which I have thoroughly enjoyed. The flower on your hike, I believe, is columbine.