Wednesday, April 20, 2016

St. Louis 16 Patch -- undecided, again

Did you hear that sound?  That swooshing sound?  It was the sound of me discovering Pinterest and having hours of my life sucked away.  I resisted as long as I could but with Pinterest, resistence is futile.

One Pinterest rabbit trail led me to St. Louis 16 Patch, a FREE pattern!!!  I ran immediately to my fat quarter collection and pulled out a stack of Joel Dewberry's Flora fabrics.  I petted and pressed and arranged my fat quarters until I was happy with the pairings, then I pulled up the pattern and read it carefully before starting.  My brain exploded when I realized that the pattern was written by a friend of mine, the fabulous Steffani K. Burton!  How the heck did I miss this important detail?  It probably was because I was blinded by the elegant simplicity of the quilt and my desire to make one for myself RIGHT NOW!

I made the quilt top last week while recovering from some medical nonsense (quilting is the best medicine) and I enjoyed every second of it!


I love this!

But now I'm stumped again.  I selected a few threads for machine quilting and want your opinion:


Which one should I use?

I could use Olive Trees:


This is three shades of olive and would read as a solid in the quilting.

I could use Midas Touch:

While I don't have a favorite color of FabuLux, this spool of three shades of rich gold is the one I've used on more quilts than any other spool.  I love the way this blends into many different colors!

I could use Rocking Horse:


This variegated pastel surprised me as a choice.  The thread is peach, light blue, and mint and actually blended pretty well into the quilt when I puddled the thread onto the quilt top.

The last choice is the bold one, Blue Heaven:


This is three shades of bright blue.  I would definitely see the thread on this quilt and that could be a good thing!

I plan to use wool batting so the quilting will show and I plan to quilt it in a variety of free-motion quilting pattern like I did on this quilt:


This was quilted with Midas Touch, a pretty dark thread for this quilt, but the color of the quilting doesn't overwhelm the quilt.


I plan to bind my St. Louis 16 Patch in a variety of strips cut from more Flora fat quarters.  I could also pick a solid color to use for binding.  Is there a specific color that you think would work for binding?


8 comments:

Frog Quilter said...

The peach pink you have in the quilt would look great as binding.

LindaGosselin said...

How about Fabulux GIGGLE for the thread color?

Unknown said...

I would use maybe rocking horse or Giggle too.

BengalPup said...

Either Rocking Horse or Blue Heaven!

12Create said...

I could imagine the blue or the rocking horse for quilting and the coral/pink colour in the centre of the ovals would make a nice border.

CynW said...

I like the Rocking Horse thread for quilting, with a light blue binding.

Linda P in IL said...

Yes Mam, I've fallen in the Pinterest pit...headed there soon...lol
I vote for rocking horse..your beautiful quilting will show up with whatever thread you use..but I also want to see all the colors in the fabric..so I'd keep the thread more neutral (since you asked)Love the 16 patch, on my list.

Linda P in IL said...

Yes Mam, I've fallen in the Pinterest pit...headed there soon...lol
I vote for rocking horse..your beautiful quilting will show up with whatever thread you use..but I also want to see all the colors in the fabric..so I'd keep the thread more neutral (since you asked)Love the 16 patch, on my list.