Wednesday, May 10, 2017

MAIL CALL: The Letter "A"

Let's start at the very beginning.  I'm making a series of fabric postcards for a special little boy.  Last week I made him the letter "S" and this week I started at the beginning of the alphabet.

I printed out an A in a fun font.

I traced the letter "A" on Steam a Seam 2 and fused it to some funky turquoise fabric.


I fused the letter to a scrap of yellow fabric.



I added some Tearaway Stabilizer behind the fabric, threaded my handy-dandy Handi Quilter Stitch 210 machine with Blue Heaven FabuLux thread in the needle and Gray DecoBob in the bobbin.

I started stitching down the letter "A" using a blanket stitch (set at 5.0 width and 2.0 stitch length):


For the record, all of those tight curves were a bit fussy to stitch around.

I tore away the stabilizer:


I fused some scrap backing fabric, Peltex, and my top fabric together.


Then I trimmed the card to 4 1/4" x 5 1/2".


I set my Stitch 210 machine for zig-zag (set at 5.0 width and .5 stitch length) and stitched around the edge of the card:


It was a quick project!


I turned the project over to Grandpa who wrote a silly note and we packaged our gifts into a clear mailing envelope.  

Which letter should we make next?

4 comments:

FLR said...

What a fun and nice project this is! The A-boy will be soooo happy! Thanks for the idea,
groetjes
Francisca

LadySchep said...

These are turning out to be really cute!

Crystal_235 said...

Fun! Are you mailing these all the same kid?

Brenda said...

Love it!!! I just ordered the envelopes & will be sending out the post card alphabets to our 3-year old grandsons!!