Friday, March 09, 2012

A quilt in need of a home

Last fall I was in New Hampshire teaching longarm quilting by day but by night, my humble hotel room became my most divine sewing studio. I pieced the center of my latest quilt in that hotel room.

I added the border when I got home and threw the top in the "to be quilted" pile.

I basted this sweet thing on my longarm with a large loose meander, and then quilted it on my Sweet Sixteen.




The basting worked beautifully. Not a single pucker on the quilt. I felt so smart!

Then, I had to remove the basting. Hours days weeks later, I pulled out the last of the basting. I felt much less smart then, and my fingers hurt!

What is your favorite basting method?

Finally, though, this quilt is finished:



It currently has no home, but I do have a few people in mind.


Check out Crazy Mom to see what other people have finished!

10 comments:

Kim said...

My favorite way to baste is to tuck the backing and finished top in a bag and hand them to my favorite quilter...YOU, so I can go off and start something new.

Happy Sewing

Rebecca said...

I Pin... no long arm... just under my elna. I did try it with big basteing stitches by hand and while it did not take weeks it did turn out to be counter productive. Hay any of you had any luck with the spray basteing?

Darx said...

If you ever run out of people to whom to give quilts...

Shelley: the Dread Pirate Rodgers said...

As I have a longarm, I don't baste.

BUT, I have read of a tip to use water soluble thread in the top for basting.

When you are thru with the quilting, just send the completed quilt through the laundry. The water soluble thread will (obviously) dissolve and the bobbin thread can be easily picked off.

Nicole said...

I baste with pins and my Kwik Klip. It really does make it go pretty fast.

HelenMarie said...

I have a long arm and don't baste.

Ann Yale said...

So interesting-I have a tin Lizzie queen quilter 18 that is very similar to your Sweet 16.

I used to pin using the Kirk kip, but just last week decided t try spray on 'glue.'. Worked like a charm-no puckers and easy to quilt. Much happier than pins.

Now I get the water soluble idea!

Good luck.

Kati from Kati's Quilting said...

I use the 505 basting spray AND pins with quick klip. I just can afford shifting on my Singer. Your quilt looks beautiful, Debby and I really like the top you just had finished with the scrappy squares.

Bonnie said...

I was going to suggest the water soluble thread. Then you would only have to wash it out and not pull out stitches...

Heather said...

That is beautiful! I'm sure you'll have no problem finding it a home. :)