Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Into The Wild

I was searching for a book to listen to whilst quilting and nothing in my Audible account was speaking to me.  I randomly downloaded We Die Alone and it blew my mind.




This is one of WWII's "little" stories, except there's nothing little about it at all.

In one way, nothing happened. Jan Baalsrud was the sole survivor of a commando mission that had to be abandoned. The Germans knew that there was an enemy combatant in occupied Norway and were searching for him, but they never found him. That's the war part of the story.

The human story is much larger. Jan Baalsrud survived an incredible ordeal escaping Norway but he was only one of the heroes of this story. Many ordinary Norwegians did extraordinary tasks to ensure his survival and eventual escape.

When Into the Wild was the book of the moment and everyone raved about it, I never understood why. It felt like a needless waste of a life to me, and people were hailing Christopher McCandless as a hero.  If they want to read an account of man versus nature and man versus man and a life spent for others, this is the story they needed to read instead.
 

1 comment:

Pamela Arbour said...

One of these days, You are going to get me hooked on audibles! I haven't tried one yet!