Tuesday, April 08, 2014

Globetrotting, block 3: Chicago (video 1)

I'm so excited to quilt this block!  I can't wait to see how my Globetrotting quilt turns out!

Here's my Chicago block:


And my quilting design:


One viewer asked me to post of wide photo of my quilting area.  This is what I came up with:


Yes, I have to wrap my leg around my camera tripod to film these quilting videos.  The extra lights are for the filming, to keep the shadows to a minimum.  The pillow under the table is for my lap.  It keeps the bulk of a larger quilt from hanging down the front of the table.  The Hello Kitty on top of the machine is from a dear friend (Hi, Liz!).


As a refresher, you might want to watch these videos on how to film a starting knot and an ending knot:





Now that you are ready to quilt, here's the plan.  I'm doing a lot of free-motion quilting in this step, but I'm using a few tools.  I am using the Handi Quilter Mini Scallop Ruler and Handi Grip for the stitch-in-the-ditch and the triangles.

I prepared my block by taping the edges with quarter-inch tape.


This will prevent me from stitching into my seam allowance.  If I did, I could lose the points of my triangles and then I would be sad.

Here's the quilting:



That wasn't so hard, was it?

Stay tuned for the next video!

_____
Globetrotting Block 1 Washington DC (in review)
Globetrotting Block 2 Venice (in review)
Globetrotting Block 3 Chicago (design)

1 comment:

Leeanne said...

Good video Debby. Accent Design have rulers for domestic machine quilters.