Friday, April 25, 2014

Going Places: Packing + SCHOOLED

Earlier this week, someone called me a name.  Now, I know that sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me, but she called me a name I've never heard before:

Peripatetic.

I'm quite a word nerd and tried to figure out what that word meant.

Peri -- like perimeter.  Maybe something to do with "around"?

Patetic -- I have no clue.  Sounds a bit like "pathetic" but I know this woman and she wouldn't call me that.  To my face.

My one-week unit on Latin in high school failed me.  I had to go to Plan B and Google it.

per·i·pa·tet·ic
ˌperipəˈtetik/
adjective
  1. 1.
    traveling from place to place, especially working or based in various places for relatively short periods.
    "the peripatetic nature of military life"
    synonyms:nomadic, itinerant, traveling, wanderingroving, roaming, migrant,migratoryunsettled More
  2. 2.
    Aristotelian.
noun
  1. 1.
    a person who travels from place to place.
  2. 2.
    an Aristotelian philosopher.

So, I am a person who travels from place to place.  That's quite accurate!  

_____

Since I am a peripatetic quilter, I want to give you a packing tip on an important subject:  Toothbrushes.



How many toothbrushes do you own?  I own at least three at all times.  Why three?

1.  I keep one toothbrush in my bathroom at home.  It stays there and I never pack it.  I can brush my teeth on the way to the airport without having to remember to pack it.  I can brush my teeth as I fall into bed, exhausted, after a long trip without having to unpack my suitcase.  It also keeps my husband's toothbrush from getting lonely in the toothbrush holder.

2.  I keep one toothbrush in my suitcase.  It is always packed.  I never have to buy a toothbrush on the road.  I never have to call the front desk of the hotel to ask for a free (awful, cheap, bendy, painful) toothbrush.  This toothbrush stays in my toiletry kit and I never have to wonder, "Did I pack my toothbrush?"

3.  I keep one toothbrush in my carry-on bag.  Sadly, I have spent more than one night in an aiport and flown directly to work in the morning.  Instead of waking up and getting ready for work in a hotel, I was at least able to brush my teeth in the airport and not offend students with my breath.  I have shown up in another city while my luggage has not.  I may not have my clothes, but I have my toothbrush.  At least that's something...

One note about packed toothbrushes -- they can get gross.  I air them out in the hotel before re-packing them.  I also clean them (and the toothbrush holders) when I get home.  I keep a supply of extra toothbrushes at home and replace them between trips as necessary.

If you read this and said, "What a dumb idea!", you have obviously never crawled out of your car after a 34 hour trip home from Australia and lacked the energy to drag your suitcase up the stairs so you could brush your teeth before falling into blessed oblivion.  

If you read this and said, "What a great idea!", run out and buy an extra toothbrush or two.  Traveling will be easier.

3 comments:

Becky said...

I've heard the word in reference to someone who just moves around a lot--as if someone had ADHD and is constantly on the move. :)

Glad you learned a new word. I'm kind of a new reader to your blog, and enjoy seeing your posts on your travels.

ytsmom said...

I have a home toothbrush and a travel toothbrush. Just makes things easier!

Janet Myers said...

Debby, I do the same thing with my toothbrushes. When I get to my unpacking, I put a brand new one in. This way it is always fresh and ready to go. I've had the gunky experience... will not do that again.