Friday, August 01, 2008

Quilt Tour

The first quilt I ever made:



My son absolutely trashed this quilt. I'm not upset because he literally loved it to death. I made it when he was in elementary school. The blue and orange fabrics were in recognition of the fact that he would one day play for the New York Knicks. He's changed career goals since then.

Glutton for punishment that I am, this is hand-quilted:





Does anyone else have a quilting stencil shaped like a basketball? No? I'm shocked.

This quilt has been to Mexico, Russia, and many other places. He never traveled without it. He took it to college with him, and it died by Thanksgiving of his freshman year. He asked me to sew a new "edge-thingie" on it, but there was nothing left to attach a new binding to!

I raced home from visiting him that Thanksgiving to make him a new quilt by Christmas. I used the same pattern and wondered why I made such a small boy such a large quilt all those years ago!?!? His new quilt was scarlet and gray (go Bucks!) and had music fabric in it. I'll try and get a photo from him some time.

This first quilt has been retired, but will never be discarded.

No comments: