Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Keeping Score

If you are keeping score, the official tally is:

Goethals bridge: 1
Debby: 0

I was off to spread some Handi Quilter love today and,  after sitting on the Goethals Bridge for nearly two hours, I realized that Staten Island can officially be labeled as "You can't get there from here."

This was my view for endless hours:


The road folks posted some fun jokes on the side of the road.  One read:

"45 MPH STRICTLY ENFORCED"

I would have been tickled to have been driving between 4 and 5 miles per hour!

The other sign read:

"NO IDLING; 3 MINUTE LIMIT"

That struck me as funny since I sat near that same sign, idling, for over an hour.

I am home.  There is cake. All is well.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Debby, I never liked that bridge! Cussed it out many times. Many years ago, in another lifetime, I lived in Perth Amboy, NJ for several years. We discovered the 'Outer Bridge Crossing'. If your heading northwest, you're stuck with the Goethels, but if you're going south, this could make a difference. You would have to go though most of SI on 278, then (before the Goethels) take 440 south to the OBC. You can connect with the Jersey Turnpike & other highways right after crossing into NJ at Perth Amboy.
This is one of the many reasons why I'm so happy we moved from Long Island & now live in Texas - we're not stuck with just a few jam packed roads that lead to the rest of the country.
Thank you for writing your blog. It's so much fun to see the rest of the quilting world, not to mention hotels thru your eyes.

Eileen said...

My son was recently transferred to SI. He's managing the Clarks shoes in the Staten Island Mall. 1 1/2 commute each way every day! NYS Thruway to 17 to the turnpike to the bridge. Thank goodness for EZ Pass!