Friday, April 10, 2015

Friday Favorites -- BINDING!

I love to quilt quilts.  I like to piece quilts.  I don't like to bind quilts.  Despite my distaste for binding, each and every quilt that I make wants me to bind it.  The nerve!

I have a folder of hand-sewing needles that is a mis-matched jumble and I have no idea what is in it.  One of the needles is my absolute favorite needle for hand binding my quilts.  I am obsessed with this needle and worried constantly that I would either lose or break it.  Thus began my quest.

I found this pack of Needle ID Cards to help identify my needles:


and determined that my favorite binding needle is an Embroidery needle, size 7.

My next step was to find more needles of the same type and size:


I don't like the Dritz ones at all.  Not one little bit.  I am testing a Bohin needle now and I really like it!  Next I will try a John James needle.  I've ordered a pack of Tulip needles, but it hasn't yet arrived.

I have so many Cutie quilts to bind:


Now I know that that my needle supply is assured.  It won't make the binding any faster, but I still have a little peace of mind.

If you like the ribbon candy quilting in the photo and would like to learn to quilt that pattern, I teach this technique in my Craftsy class.  Check it out!

  

No comments: