Thursday, April 01, 2010

Recovery quilting

I just returned from 13 days on the road ending with the first AQS show in Lancaster PA! It was such a rush to be there, and I spent weeks preparing so my classes would be "just right".

I've done a lot of teaching and a lot of travelling and I know to plan some down time when I return. I take the first day home and spend it in my sewing room engaging in 'quilt therapy' or 'recovery quilting'.

I grabbed my bucket of 1 1/2" strips and pieced them into blocks:


It was the perfect recovery quilting project since there was no thought involved, until...
... there were leftover pieces:

What am I going to do with the leftovers?

I pulled out a barely started scrap quilt that has 2 1/2" x 6" sashings. Should I continue with that project (I'm thinking no), or should I just toss those few strips and all my leftovers into a bag for my crumb-quilting friend?

Does anyone else get paralyzed by these enormous life-and-death decisions?

I hope this recovery takes, because I'm on my way back out the door for another 14 days of teaching!

2 comments:

Diane said...

Welcome home or should I say "cya later"...
nice quilt therapy you got going on, your crumb friend would love your leftovers, you don't do crumbs?

Norece said...

When I have leftover bits and pieces I begin to think how I am going to use them and then that creates another project.

I am also torn between keeping the bits and making them into a quilt or just tossing them. I do feel guilty throwing them out, but gee, how many small pieces should I keep? After all I can only make so many quilts each week, month, year.

Just wanted you to know that you aren't alone when it comes to what to do with the leftovers.