Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Squared Away -- a machine quilting challenge

If I had a to pick my favorite quilt patterns, Squared Away would make the Top Ten list.


I usually quilt this quilt with a Ribbon Candy quilting pattern, but my students challenged me to use any pattern BUT ribbon candy this time.

Challenge Accepted!


Before I committed to quilting this entire quilt, I made some placemats as test pieces.  I filmed how I quilted them.



I used rulers on a home sewing machine in this video, but these designs can also be quilted with a longarm or a sit-down longarm machine.

The fabric in my Squared Away quilt is Pat Sloan's Bobbins and Bits (and a few pieces from her other lines) and I adore it!  I bought it at Quilting Possibilities in Forked River, NJ.  I checked with Debbie and she definitely has more of this fabric in stock.  Check it out.

The thread is my FabuLux Mellow Yellow and InvisiFil Daffodil.  They quilted like a DREAM! 

The first quilt I made with this fabric was Oh My Stars!


I made a test block into a pillow.


I filmed the quilting:


I still have fabric left and am piecing more quilts.  I will show you as I finish them and will try to keep filming the machine quilting videos as I go along.

Have you made any of these quilts?  Have you used Pat Sloan's fabrics?  Let me know in the comments!

No comments: