Wednesday, July 06, 2016

The Splendid Sampler -- Family Affair

Long, long ago I used to make The Splendid Sampler blocks.  Then I got to a block that involved paper piecing and my progress came to a screeching halt.  "I'm a machine quilter, not a paper-piecer!" I screamed.*

I have been watching all of the pretty blocks made by all of the brave quilters and I finally decided to jump back in.  I wanted to start with the current Splendid Sampler block, but I needed to conquer my fear of paper piecing first.  I went right back to the Family Affair block by Janice Ryan.

Ta-da!
I always tell my students not to point out their own mistakes, but since I'm a teacher my mistakes might be instructional so here's what happened:

1.  I meant for the white and light blue circle fabric to be in the opposite positions.  I'm so not ripping this out or starting again.  We're just calling it a "design choice" at this point.
2.  My four blocks aren't joined perfectly together, but I am leaving them.  When I quilt this, I can de-emphasize those seams so... GOOD ENOUGH!

I am still a machine quilter and not a paper-piecer, but I survived and will live to paper-piece another Splendid Sampler block in the future.


___
Yes, I did use both Star Wars and Star Trek references in the same paragraph.  Sue me.

No comments: