Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Fa La La Postcard Tutorial

You asked for it, you got it!  I showed a postcard-in-progress last week and asked if I should scrap it or keep going.  The overwhelming response was "keep going... and WRITE A TUTORIAL!" so here it is!


Who doesn't love tangled Christmas lights?  OK, skip that question and simply join in the fun of making this postcard.

Materials:
5"x6" piece of white fabric for front of postcard
5"x6" piece of white fabric for back of postcard
5"x6" piece of Peltex
FabuLux Olive Trees thread
1/4" x 1/4" pieces of bright fabric fused to Steam a Seam 2

Carefully fuse the 1/4" fabric pieces:


To the front of the postcard:


Make a light crease where you want to write "fa la la la" and layer with stabilizer:


Using the open-toe free-motion quilting foot, begin stitching "fa la la la" on the crease:


Now comes the fun part -- SCRIBBLE!


Loop your lines being sure to stitch through each piece of fabric at least once.  Layer with Peltex and backing fabric:


Fuse layers together and trim using the Postcard Trimming Tool (or trim to 4 1/4" x 5 1/2")


Satin stitch over the edge of the postcard.

Write your holiday greetings on the back of the card, pop in a cellophane envelope, address, and mail!


I have more Christmas cards in my head, but I'm not sure how many more I'll get to make before this Christmas.

Stay tuned...

3 comments:

Crystal_235 said...

Cute postcard!

Pamela Arbour said...

I just love it. Maybe I can actually get one made. I bought the packet and the template but haven't made one yet. I know once I get started, I won't be able to stop. That is, if I make it look as good a yours!

Sandal said...

Adorable! Thank you for the easy to follow tutorial!