Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Post-Christmas Greetings!

If you are like me and didn't get Christmas cards sent out in time, use this tutorial to make Season's Greetings! postcards.


This was a scrap-buster!  I dug into my bin and pulled out a bunch of neutral crumbs:


Using Victoria Findlay Wolfe's technique from 15 Minutes of Play, I pieced them together into a 5"x6" rectangle:


I grabbed some Steam a Seam 2 and traced a dime to make eyes:


I sketched a triangle for a nose:


I positioned them to make a face as I desired:


 I pulled a long string of scrap fabric from the bin and trimmed it into 3/4" x 6", 3/4" x 2 1/2", and 3/4" x 3" strips.  Without any fusible, I arranged these strips onto the background to make a scarf:


I brought the snowman to my machine and prepared to stitch the features down.  I'm too lazy to change thread for the different fabric colors so I grabbed a spool of 100 weight InvisiFil:


This thread is really thin and this gray is a neutral color so it will blend with the black eyes and orange nose as well as the blue scarf.  I set my machine to a small stitch length and stitched a straight stitch less than 1/8" inside of each piece:


I didn't stitch down the scarf ends so they would flap around and add dimension to the card:


I layered white fabric, interfacing, and the postcard together:


I trimmed the card to 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" using my Postcard Trimming Tool:


My postcard is ready to place in a cellophane envelope and wish a friend or family member a Happy New Year!


I wonder -- should I confess that this is a belated Christmas card?  Or should I simply wish a Happy New Year?

I also wonder -- am I the only one who didn't get all of her cards out before Christmas?

2 comments:

Pamela Arbour said...

That is adorable! You really have the creative juices going.

Unknown said...

Wait, people send cards before Christmas?.............