Friday, July 13, 2012

Brooklyn's quilt, part one

Remember Brooklyn's quilt?


Today I will show you how to quilt a star in the plain block.

The star is made up of eight lines.  I started stitching from the bottom left corner of the block up to the center of the top of the block, then I stitched down to the bottom right corner of the block.


I continued stitching from the bottom right corner of the block to the middle of the left side of the block, then I stitched up to the top right corner of the block.


I next stitched from the top right corner of the block to the center of the bottom of the block, and continued stitching to the top left corner of the block.


I continued stitching from the top left corner of the block to the middle of the right side of the block, then finished my design by stitching back to the bottom left corner of the block where I started.


I use a HQ Straight Edge Ruler.  It is short enough to handle easily and long enough to cover the block; most importantly it is 1/4-inch thick so I can stitch against the edge of my sweet Sweet Sixteen.

With the needle in the fabric, I line the ruler up against the 1/4-inch hopping foot.  I angle the ruler so it is 1/4-inch away from where I want my stitching to end.  Since the foot is 1/4-inch wide, this will allow my needle to stitch directly into the corner.
Fortunately as quilters we have trained our eyes to see 1/4-inch.  If you do not believe me, stitch a garment with 5/8-inch seam allowances.  THEY ARE HUGE!!!

Time to pick the thread.  I like this one:



"Ivory Tickle" is a great name!

Ready to quilt?



I am on my way to Russia tomorrow and will post another video when I get home.

1 comment:

Kim said...

This is looking really good! I think even I could do these stars :0)

Happy Sewing and safe travels.