Wednesday, October 08, 2014

Organizing -- day 2

Welcome back to my Organizing in October series!

I was away last week and out of my normal routine.  I kept thinking of things that I needed to do and calls that I needed to make.  I jotted them all down on a long list over the days I was away and dealt with them when I got back to my office this morning.  Note:  I didn't DO all of the to-dos, I simply managed all of them.

Today I want to talk about the telephone.  I have a love/hate relationship with the telephone.  I love to pick up the phone and chat with a friend when I get a chance, but I don't like it when the phone rings.  I also don't like to make phone calls; this is why I put them off.  I had several "call so-and-so" items on my to-do list, so I put them all on one list with phone numbers and any other necessary information.

In 30 minutes today, I plowed through my phone calls.  I made doctor appointments, a car appointment, a repair appointment, and a call to have my last hotel ship my jacket back to me (oops!).  If I had made each call separately throughout the day, I would have dilly-dallied and spent time on the computer checking FaceBook and it would have taken hours.

Sometimes, I take my phone call list in the car with me when I have a long drive.  I can't make serious phone calls that require attention, notes, and follow-up, but I can make a bunch of "let's catch up" phone calls as I'm driving to the next teaching gig.



After I was finished with my phone calls today, I spent some time quilting.  That is, after all, why I try to be as organized as possible -- to get the stuff I don't want to do done as quickly as possible so that I can have more time to do the stuff I want to do.  QUILTING!


1 comment:

Doreen said...

Puh-leeze.....be careful about that calling/driving 'thing'!!! I know that you know that but I just had to say it!!!! I agree with the phone calls....necessary but oh the time that evaporates!!!!!