Friday, October 10, 2014

Organizing -- Day 4

My paperwork geekiness is proudly on display today as I share my love for my tickler file. Swoon!

Do you know what a tickler file is?  It is a series of folders for every day of the month and every month of the year. I empty each day's folder and find little messages I've left myself that need attention on each day. 

My tickler file:


With thread color cards filed behind it, naturally. 

On Wednesday I went to the post office and mailed some boxes. I received tracking slips for each package. I wanted to be sure to confirm that the boxes arrived, but how should I do this to 
1. Remember to do it and 
2. Not lose those papers?

I filed it in my tickler file!

I stapled the receipt and tracking slips to a piece of paper (back of an old quilt class handout, most likely) and filed it in my "10" folder for October 10. 

This morning when I went into my office, I emptied today's folder and found my receipts:


I can now check online to see if my little boxes of love arrived safely at their destinations. 

How does this organization help me quilt?  It took one minute to file this receipt, less than a minute to pull it, and will take 2-3 minutes to confirm delivery. Five minutes out of my life. Things could have gone far differently: lose receipt, forget to track package, wake up in a panic when I remember the boxes some day next week, look for receipt in purse, look for receipt in other purse, look for receipt in mail pile, look for receipt in car, look for receipt on desk, look for receipt on hubby's desk...  You can see that the under five minutes invested turned into an hour of blissful quilting rather than an hour of stress and panic. 

Paperwork is all about getting it done quickly so I get to spend more time quilting!

4 comments:

Jacqueline said...

I like the concept.

Terry said...

you rock!!!!! How much for you to come live with me? I'll pay for all the chocolate cake and gelato you can eat!

Debby Brown said...

Terry,

Thank you for understanding my geekiness and loving me for it.

Unknown said...

I used to keep a file like that, but have moved most things that need follow up to my Google calendar. If you ship often, set up a UPS account. You print the label at home and then drop off at UPS. Then UPS will follow up on deliveries for you (you will get an email when any movement occurs) The post office has a similar service. That way you do not have to keep the receipts at all!