Wednesday, January 18, 2017

My New Year's Resolve is Wavering

My New Year's resolution was to clean my sewing room.  I'm making progress on that, but it's not yet obvious to the casual observer.

One of the steps I'm taking to clean my sewing space is to finish the projects I've already started.  I've been making great progress on this but I'm getting kind of desperate to start a new (!) exciting (!) project instead pulling out yet another UFO, wondering why I ever started it, counting all of the pieces, and trying to figure out exactly where I am and what the next step is and then finishing a quilt I didn't feel like finishing some time in the distant past.

I'm trying to make starting a new project feel virtuous by pulling all of the fabric from my overflowing scrap/stash bins.  This is what I just pulled:


It's going to be a very subtle, low-contrast quilt where the quilting can show off.

I love, Love, LOVE the Picnic Patch Cutie Pattern.  I've made it many, many times.  I love to piece it and love to quilt it.  This quilt will be all joy for me, if I allow myself to start it.

What do you think of the choices?  Should I just pull out another UFO instead?

What type of quilting bargains do you make with yourself?

5 comments:

Roni in the quilt room said...

Right now I am trying to finish my double wedding ring quilt. I am doing an old fashioned appliqué border, with vines, leaves and flowers. So each morning I say.... Add one piece of vine, get a set of flowers and leaves ready... then you can go work on something else. This has worked for 2 days.... :). I love what you chose... going to be beautiful.

Jacqueline said...

I "allow" myself to do what I want after doing something I don't want to do. For example I do the dishes then hand stitch for 20 minutes. Throw in a load of laundry and sew while the washer is going, etc. as for starting new projects.....when the pull is strong enough I start it. I have multiple projects going all the time. Keeps my short attention span happy.

Ann D said...

I can relate to not being in love with UFO's. I think it's because there was a reason for not finishing it in the first place so it's hard to generate the enthusiasm to begin again. I suppose you could alternate a new project with a UFO (or two). I made a list of UFO's last year with the All People Quilt folks. I looked forward to working on a UFO at the beginning of each month and when finished, I gave myself permission to start something new.

BengalPup said...

Nnooo!!!! Don't waiver! I'm doing the same. Finishing up 10 years of UFOs. You don't realize how many you have until you list them. At least I didn't. I have over 50. Instead of waivering from the list I created, I am allowing myself to waiver on the order. It has taken a weight I did t realize was there to finish some of these old projects.

Unknown said...

My husband would say it is girly. I think it is hard to make something for someone who you don't know very well. I know I have made a few gifts and not always gotten the reaction I was hoping for. After all that time and effort, it is a bit disappointing. I have decided that if I am not absolutely certain about a person's style preference and favorite colors, I just don't make them anything anymore. I buy a gift that they can return/exchange if they feel the need. And I save my precious time to make something for myself, one of my kids or someone else I know who will really appreciate the hours that went into making it.