Monday, January 09, 2017

Operation Happy Place: Plan B

I was so excited to start cleaning my sewing room this year!  I imagined wild success in the form of a magazine-photo-shoot-ready studio within 10 days.

Well....

I mentioned last week that I was dealing with my "under the cutting table" scrap problem.  I thought a three-bin laundry sorter would be the perfect solution.  I measured my cutting table and checked the size of the laundry sorter.  I assembled it and added the scraps to the appropriate bins:



and then...

It didn't fit under the table.

I forgot to take into account the support bars under my cutting table.

So, my laundry sorter fits perfectly NEXT to my cutting table.


I could shove it under the table, but it would stick out the front about 4-6 inches.  So... no.  But I think I might actually like it better this way.  I can throw the scraps into the bin without rolling the cart out from under the table each time I have a scrap.  Hurray for plan B!!!

Now, I wonder what I'll store in that big empty space?

The next area I want to tackle in my sewing room is the top of this cutting table.  The underneath looks ok (for now), but the top is a disaster area.  I have a few ideas about how to make it a more productive work space.

Stay tuned!

5 comments:

Lori said...

This is a brilliant plan, even if it doesn't fit under the table. *running off to measure under my table*

Crystal_235 said...

At least you made it work, and if it was under the table you would have to pull it out every time you wanted to add to or take from it.

Unknown said...

I feel so affirmed! We are on the same journey, just different beginnings. I am not as clever as you. I just have an old pillowcase open over a plastic waste basket near my machine, and another one near my cutting spot. I dump my scraps into them, and then, when they are full I stitch them up and take them to the humane society.
....and, I loved your note. Thx......

maggie fellow said...

so how are they sorted?

Holly said...

I hope you don't have cats. I KNOW my 2 kittens would think I'd given them a wonderful new place to both sleep & play! I do have something much like your's --two sliding canvas drawers under a small ironing board on wheels. It works perfectly for scraps.