Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Invisible Seams on Backings

Sometimes, quilting makes me feel like a super-hero.  I recently pieced a quilt back using some lovely Joel Dewberry fabric:


Can you see the seam?  No?  Do you want to know how to perfectly match a backing seam?

I pressed one of the backing pieces using a hem gauge and then lined up the backing pieces  I held them in place with glue:


Then I sewed along the pressed line:


Once I was done, I trimmed the seam, pressed, and then had a perfect backing!

Do you have a different way to match backing pieces for invisible seams?

10 comments:

Mary said...

Great tutorial. Thanks for sharing.

beefi8 said...

Great idea! Love it!

BJ said...

I don't usually go for geometric backings because of the fussiness involved in making them look not wonky. What a great method - thanks for the lesson!

BJ said...

I don't usually go for geometric backings because of the fussiness involved in making them look not wonky. What a great method - thanks for the lesson!

Deb M said...

I do it the same way...works great!

Kati said...

Fabulous! Thank you for sharing Debby!

kupton52 said...

Thank you for sharing this wonderful tip....I cannot wait to try it. I'm such a stickler about this and have just resorted to using extra-wide backing fabric instead of piecing my own. Looks like I'm going to be able to use us alot of my stash now with this great tutorial.

Farmer's Daughter said...

techique is used for matching wall paper

Marianne said...

Same way I do it. Every time I get a thrill at how great it turns out! Haha!

Unknown said...

Gonna sound like a total newb...but what the heck! I followed the link to the hem guide and have no clue how you used it. Was it just for making the crease?