Monday, March 17, 2014

It's About Time: double your time

I plan to spend this week puttering around in my sewing room.  I have a few designer quilts to finish, some show samples to make, class kits to prepare, and a few original projects to (hopefully) finish in time for a show deadline.  I might have trouble deciding what to work on first, but I will DEFINITELY have trouble figuring out which lovely audiobook to listen to while I'm working:


Most of these are Young Adult novels, but not all.  I enjoy a good story no matter who the intended audience is.

I work and travel a lot (a LOT!), and don't have time to sit and enjoy all of the books that I want to read.  To solve this problem, I double my time by listening to audiobooks while I work with my hands.  If I'm doing paperwork or writing something, I need my whole brain, but while I'm cutting kits for a show, my ears are free to listen to a good book.

I don't pay for many audiobooks.  My library system has a large number of books on CD available to borrow.  They also have access to a downloadable audiobook system online.  I use this and love to listen to my books without being interrupted to change a CD.  Some books are not available from the library, and I end up buying about one book per month from Audible.com.  I have an account with them and have been building my Audible library for about a decade.  I often re-listen to books I purchased long ago.  If you are into the classics, LibriVox is a great site.  Volunteers record parts of copyright free books and you can listen to a variety of narrators.  Some are not bad, but others....?  They are not the professionals that I am used to hearing.

My favorite narrators (in no particular order) are:  Jim Dale, Patrick Lawlor, Davina Porter, Dylan Baker, Carolyn McCormick, Scott Brick, and Dennis Boutsikaris.  They are able to make a book come alive!

If you don't have time to read all of the books that you want to read, consider listening to them while doing another task that doesn't require all of your brain.  It is amazing how fast a long car drive passes when listening to a good audiobook!

2 comments:

Judy D in WA said...

I love audio books. I get stuck on one author and want to hear all they have available.
My most recent favorite is Buster's Midnight Cafe by Sandra Dallas. The reader is fabulous and makes the book very memorable--of course the story is pretty good too. ;)

Bonnie said...

I've been listening to books since the 80's when I attended graduate school and had an hour and 15 minute ride. I haven't committed to Audible but I probably should. I've enjoyed Sandra Dallas books before so I may have to see if I can find the one Judy recommended. And honestly, Jim Dale is the best reader I have ever listened to. Fabulous.