Friday, March 17, 2017

Quilt Finish: Daisy Placemats

A long time ago in a quilting room far, far away* I made a quilt with some darling Gerbera Daisy fabric and hinted that I was going to do something creative with the fabric.

Well...

I finally did:

  
I made six of these beauties for my mom.

I have been having fun playing with Pat Sloan's Teach Me to Machine Quilt book and finally stitched out her walking-foot spiral using WonderFil Konfetti cotton thread with a DecoBob bobbin:


I will DEFINITELY use this spiral on more projects.  It was So.  Stinking.  Fun!!!

Quick question:  Do you have any idea how much binding is around six placemats?  Answer:  Eleventy-thousand miles!**  Anyone who knows me knows how much I despise binding, so I thought these would be the perfect project to practice Pat Sloan's machine binding technique:


I think, after sliced bread, quilt binding clips are my favorite invention ever.  

I had some fun with my thread choice for the binding.  I used my FabuLux Wisteria thread with a DecoBob bobbin.  It didn't blend in but instead added a touch of jazz to the  binding.

For Christmas of 2015, I promised my mom 12 months of placemats, but I never said that all of the months would be in the same year!

Enjoy your placemats, Mom!
_____
*It was actually my sewing room where I'm sitting to write this post.  It's called "creative license."
**About 400 inches, which is bad enough.

No comments: